The evidence is in and studies show HIIT training is a great choice when it comes to burning fat.
What is HIIT? It is alternating between very intense bursts of activity for a set time then recovering for a set time with less activity. Example: Warm up for 5 minutes then run as fast as you can for 1 minute then walk for 2 minutes. Repeat intervals and recoveries for 15-20 minutes. (Although you can set your times differently for whatever fitness level you are at.)
When it comes to HIIT, the benefits are many!
1. You save time! And we all could use more of that!
2. You save your muscle and burn fat for 24 hours!
3. You raise your human growth hormone, which keeps you young!
4. You get a healthier heart by pushing it into an anaerobic state!
5. You can do it anywhere! At the gym you can do intervals on the treadmill, bike, or elliptical and outside you can do it running/walking or by doing jumping jacks, speed skaters, mountain climbers, etc.!
I have been doing intervals for a while now. Not only have I enjoyed working on increasing my speed and shortening my recovery times, I feel at the end of my workout I have a greater sense of accomplishment knowing I gave it my all. I love my interval workouts!
So check with your doctor to see if you can give intervals a try. Why not switch up your pace? It’s a great way to get healthy – inside and out!